Saturday, December 20, 2008

RTE - The place where it all started


If I am to describe the place where I live, I am not going to write about the beautiful, historical city of Poznan. Although it is really my hometown, I think it's better to focus specifically on my neighbourhood. As I already mentioned, Poznan itseflf is very attractive, full of interesting architecture and wonderful atmosphere. Nevertheless, apart from the Old Market, the City Hall and other symbols, the city has also less impressive areas. The so called giant bedrooms seem to serve as perfect examples. It so happened that I spent almost all my life living in such district, called Rataje. It is a huge complex of blocks most of which are monuments of the communist regime. Even though it seems that one cannot find anything interesting in such area, there are some aspects worth mentioning. Firstly, almost entire social structure can be found in a single block, fom lawyers to cleaners everybody share the same grey reality. Of course their flats look different from the inside, just as their social status is different, nevertheless they are all members of the same community and live very close to each other. Secondly, recent years brought some serious investments located in Rataje, therefore some new, useful infrastructure appeared. There are several large trade centres such as M1 or Ikea, there is also one of the biggest cinema centres in Poland - Cinema City Kinepolis. Well, I guess that's enough of the introduction, if you really wish to explore my beloved neighbourhood, come and see for yourself.

4 comments:

Dżastina said...

No way, Paweł, your blog IS alive :P
I liked your description. Even though I'm not from Poznań, I more or less know your district. :)
Ciao,
Dżastina :)

Cherry said...

I'd love to wake up in the morning and look at IKEA everyday... be so close to IKEA's hot-dogs... :D
LUCKY YOU :P

Dark Lord of the Sith said...

Hehe, funny thing is that I've never eaten a hot dog from IKEA and someone promissed to take me there quite a long time ago ;-P THX for comments dears

Cherry said...

Hot dogs from IKEA coming soon :D